Tuesday, March 13, 2007

I Will Come To You

I WILL NOT LEAVE YOU COMFORTLESS: I WILL COME TO YOU. John 14.18.

It was Sunday. The church was full of people. Being one of the biggest churches, literally thousands came in, all kinds of people with every imaginable need! They were all mostly believers. They came to worship God in His temple. But we come into the presence of the Almighty and our blessed Saviour also because we trust in God’s promises to meet our needs and rely on His compassion.

Every weekend and especially on the Lord’s Day morning, we make time to pray for the blessing of every Sunday Service everywhere, including ours. We plead for the Lord’s manifest presence and power in our midst so that none who comes into His sanctuary will leave without a touch from the Lord. We pray that all may receive forgiveness, healing and restoration of body, soul and spirit.

In our church, as part of our service, we have a special time to pray for the needs of God’s distressed people. Every Sunday, a very large group of needy ones of all ages stand up for prayer. Sometimes they come to the altar for prayer. It is a privilege to lay hands on some of them and pray. I make it a practise to anoint the sick ones with oil and pray, as the Scripture teaches.

In such helplessness and need, the parting words of our dear Lord Jesus Christ to the disciples and to us is greatly encouraging: “I will not leave you comfortless or as orphans; I will come to you”. How comforting it is to you and me who are in various needs and are even badly hurting! The Lord has for us more words of consolation and some great promises too! Listen to some, dear child of God: “Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me” (Jn 14.1). “You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it” (Jn 14.13). “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world” (Jn 16.33).

Pray and practise with me: Dear Lord, I thank You for Your words of comfort and cheer. In my troubles grant me Your peace that passes human understanding. Your overcoming presence and power be with me always as You have promised. Amen.

No comments: