Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Do Not Merely Listen

DO NOT MERELY LISTEN TO THE WORD, AND SO DECEIVE YOURSELVES. DO WHAT IT SAYS. James 1.22.

When I was a youngster, I used to read the Scripture Union Bible notes, ‘The daily Bread’. I took interest in distributing it to my church members, encouraging them also to read the Bible daily. On its opening page were tips to get the maximum benefit out of the readings. I remember well two of them: 1) Observe whether in the passage there is a commandment to obey; 2) Is there any sin that you should avoid?

These are two very practical things that you and I should be careful to observe as we keep reading the Word of God daily. Make them your prayer to God that He may give you the strength during the day to practise what you have learnt. I have been careful to follow this advice often. It has helped to mould my life according to the Word of God. But there were days when I was busy or lazy and did my devotion hurriedly. The result was that I missed the things that God wanted to teach me.

The same diligence is necessary as we go to church on Sundays and listen to the preaching. We must go prepared and with the expectation to hear God speak to us from His Word through His servants. For a half an hour sermon, they prepare for weeks and months, waiting on God and searching His Word. We should at least take the trouble to listen attentively. Keep awake. Do not play with your phone or keep chatting with your fiancĂ©! Open your Bible and look up the references. Write simple notes or scribble the points. It will help you to concentrate. If you jot down some notes, it is not easy to forget the message totally. Some important points will remain not only in your notebook but in your mind also. Don’t feel shy to write, thinking that others would consider you a fanatic or super-spiritual. My church has been distributing diaries for writing sermon notes and many other churches also are doing the same. They want you to mean business with God!

The truth is that most of what is preached on a Sunday is forgotten by most people even before they get out of the church and go for lunch! Consider it seriously. Is it God’s desire and purpose for you to hear and forget what He teaches you Sunday after Sunday? Jesus was very concerned about how people responded to His teachings. He told His hearers, “Everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash” (Mt 7.26,27).

James the apostle, having been similarly concerned about the believers who were like us, said, “Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like” (Ja 1.22,23). Stop deceiving yourself!

Pray and practise with me: Dear Lord Jesus, You have warned me and Your Word cautions me not to be just a listener of Your Word. Help me to take note and practice what I hear. Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Praise God for the way he has used Scripture Union's Daily Bread Bible reading guide as a milestone in your spiritual journey. Our prayer is that the many thousands of Christians who don't engage with God's Word regularly, will discover true power for everyday living by getting into the Bible daily using Scripture Union's guides for direction.