Monday, April 9, 2007

Nothing New Under The Sun

WHAT HAS BEEN WILL BE AGAIN WHAT HAS BEEN DONE WILL BE DONE AGAIN; THERE IS NOTHING NEW UNDER THE SUN. Ecclesiastes 1.9.

Poor King Solomon, though he was the wisest of all men, when he had lost touch with God and His Word, he also lost his vision and divine prospects! Now, he could only say, “What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun”. Put in today’s jargon, it would be something like, ‘Life is a meaningless chore!’ It is no surprise that people feel that way about life. Many times, we Christians too feel the same way. That’s when you and I need to change our perspective through God’s Word and make our lives exciting!

Recently, I was preparing to preach the Sunday sermon. My topic was ‘God’s Word Transforms’. I was truly excited about the power of the Word of God to change our lives. I had been reading some of the most remarkable testimonies of people whose lives were miraculously and sometimes spontaneously transformed by the Word of God. These were people who happened to read the Gideon Bible they found in a hotel, motel or even a prison! As I drove to the church early Sunday morning, I was really overwhelmed by the thought of ‘what great things God’s Word could do to my hearers and myself’!

Soon, I was on an elevated highway and I witnessed one of the most spectacular sunrises I had seen for months! I thought to myself, ‘What a glorious sunrise! What a bright new day! What great possibilities there are before me and everyone else to open ourselves to God, to seek His face and His will.’

Later during the worship, a pastor spoke a word of prophesy or exhortation for the edification of the church. He said something to this effect, ‘Today, you may have a new beginning in God. The opportunity is there for you’. Another member encouraged the believers, ‘Rise up and soar high to reach for heaven’s best for you’.

It was an easy task for me to speak after God had spoken to the congregation. I only had to fill-in the gap! I did that by narrating stories of people’s lives touched, transformed and made new by the power of the Word of God! I challenged God’s people not to stop reading the Word that once changed their lives. They were encouraged to read on daily and be made anew day-by-day!

Don’t be like Solomon and say, ‘There is nothing new under the sun’. God says in His Word, “Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing!” (Isa 43.18,19). The apostle Paul said “if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!” (2 Cor 5.17). With each new day, you and I as children of an Almighty God and Father should aspire and apprehend all that God has in store for us. Read God’s Word. Know God’s power. Embrace His love. Experience His compassion. Receive His blessings. Feel his healing and strengthening power. Receive wisdom from above. Find direction in life. Pray and receive God’s answers. Intercede for others and let them know God’s mercy and grace.

Pray with me: Dear Lord, never let my life in You be a chore. Get me excited through Your Word each day, showing the possibilities and potentials before me, and help me to achieve them. Amen.

No comments: