Thursday, December 6, 2007

Burdens To The Lord

TURN YOUR BURDENS OVER TO THE LORD, AND HE WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU. Psalm 55.22.

The other day we were discussing in our Home Fellowship the puzzling problem of, “If God loves us so much and we love Him too, how is it we have so much trouble and turmoil in this life?” Talking about troubles, listen to poor King David’s mourning, “My heart is in turmoil. The terrors of death have seized me. Fear and trembling have overcome me. Horror has overwhelmed me. I said, "If only I had wings like a dove - I would fly away and find rest” (vs 4-6). That’s real trouble!

We must realise that being a Christian is no hedge against trials and temptations. If at all, it may only increase because we have joined forces with God to fight the devil. But then, God being Almighty, why does He allow trouble to overtake His children?

Look through the Bible and you will not find an answer that satisfies our minds. Instead of finding an answer, you probably came to the conclusion that God didn’t always remove the troubles of His people, even though He had the power to do so. But when God did not remove the troubles, He gave support and strength to people to go through them.

Through the adversities, God is moulding us into maturity, leading us to perfection and fitting us into His likeness. These are God’s ultimate goals for you and me! While labouring to establish yourself in this world and hankering after material blessings, do not forget that God’s plans and purposes for you is greater and higher.

Thank God, David had made God, “my Rock, my loving God and my fortress, my stronghold and my deliverer, my shield, in whom I take refuge” (Psa 144.1,2). Anyone who has no God like David’s to take care of him, will crack up or commit suicide! David knew what to do in times of distress: “But I call on God, and the LORD saves me. Morning, noon, and night I complain and groan, and he listens to my voice. With his peace, he will rescue my soul from the war waged against me, God will listen. The one who has sat enthroned from the beginning will deal with them” (vs16-19).

Dear friend in distress, God is your only hope! He alone is your deliverer. He gives you strength and provides your every need. Your only escape is “to turn all your burdens over to the LORD”. As sure as His eternal promises, “God will take care of you”.

Lead a righteous life before God. “He will never let the righteous stumble”. Apostle Paul said, “the Lord is faithful, and he will strengthen and protect you from the evil one” (2 Th 3.3). All through the Bible times and ever since, all who have trusted Him have found Him faithful! You too will!

Pray and practise with me: Dear Lord, I thank You for Your wonderful promise, “Cast all your anxiety (burdens, cares) on him because he cares for you” (1 Pe 5.7). Help me to put them one by one on You and feel the relief and Your care of me! Amen.

No comments: