Sunday, December 16, 2007

In Everything Give Thanks

IN EVERYTHING GIVE THANKS: FOR THIS IS THE WILL OF GOD IN CHRIST JESUS CONCERNING YOU. 1 Thessalonians 5.18

Thankfulness is not a trait we inherit. We need to cultivate it and teach it to our children to express gratitude for kindness received. It is not often that people thank God for His goodness to them. Often Christians are no exception. To thank God for everything and in everything as the Scripture commands is not followed by most. You may feel obliged to thank God for the ‘good things’ He has done but what about the apparently ‘bad things’ that befall you?

The Scripture teaches, “In everything give thanks!” That is a command of God! I remember reading a very long time ago an interesting small book by an army Chaplin, entitled “PRISON TO PRAISE”. The Chaplin began telling his counselees who went to him with complaints of ‘hurt in the field or by families back home’, “Come on! Gives thanks in everything!” The already hurt, poor souls were astonished and flabbergasted and asked him, “Why should we, and how could we give thanks to God when He is causing us hurt and suffering? It does not make sense!” Some had been wounded in the field, some lost friends in battle, others had bad news from home and there were those whose wives were deserting them and going after other men!

The good Chaplin replied, “It doesn’t make sense to me either! But the Word of God says so, and we must obey!” One by one the bewildered soldiers began giving thanks to God in whatever situation they were in. They didn’t exactly ‘thank God for their dead friends, sick parents or deserting wives!’ However, each one began to thank God saying, “Lord, You know my terrible situation. I thank You for it because You asked me to thank You in everything! I don’t feel like it but I do. Sometimes I feel it is crazy but still I do thank You because You have said so!” Wonder of wonders, the book goes on to tell ‘how God in miraculous ways solved many of the impossible problems of the soldiers!’

Here is yet another reason from today’s lesson for you to give thanks in everything: It is “the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you!” That sounds pretty serious, doesn’t it? God is in it, so is Christ Jesus and you too! Hey! You better do it! Let us not go against the will of God in Christ Jesus for you and me.

Dear friend, whether you are going through troubled waters and battlefields or not, begin now to obey God’s will for you in Christ Jesus - give thanks to God in everything. Then leave your troubles with Him! Like Habakkuk the prophet on the watch tower, you too may wait to hear and see what the Almighty will say or do! (Hab 2.1). God has promised and surely, He will respond!

Pray and practise with me: Dear Lord, help me to give thanks to You for everything and in all situations I find myself in, be it good or bad, for you have told me so and it is Your will for me whether I feel like it or not. Thank You Father. Amen.

No comments: