Thursday, February 8, 2007

The Man Who Trusts In You

O LORD ALMIGHTY, BLESSED IS THE MAN WHO TRUSTS IN YOU. Psalm 85.12.

What would you consider as true blessings from the Lord? We live in a day when people consider themselves blessed by God when He favours them with plenty of money, good health and much happiness! Once I heard a preacher say that he would have preferred ‘God sending him some baskets of gold instead of cucumbers’ which a poor farmer had brought to him as a gift! Sometimes one wonders whether you trust in the Lord because you desire His gifts and not Him!

But, here are the sons of Korah whose hearts yearned and fainted for their God! Their hearts and flesh cried out for the living God. They trusted in Him as the Almighty One and hence they wanted to see Him in action! We believe in God and we pray to Him. We hope that the Lord will answer. There are times we are disappointed when answers do not come or are delayed. Very much like Jacob of old at Penial, they clung on to the Lord and would not let Him go unless He blessed!

Dear friend, by reading this lovely psalm, let us learn to emulate their love for the Lord God Almighty and their faith and confidence in Him. To them, heaven, God’s dwelling place, was most lovely. They desired to be in His temple. No wonder they said, “Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere; I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked” (v 10).

My wife and I were discussing about a young Christian couple who are in deep trouble. We had encouraged them to go to church regularly on Sundays. But they don’t because they want to rest on Sunday! How many Christians are there who don’t make time for God or his sanctuary only to find themselves in deep trouble? It makes one wonder where the church has failed and why it loses these precious souls in the first place! Or was it all their fault that they never had any great love for God like the sons of Korah? Or did they fall away from faith because of the trials of life or temptations?

Take the warning from the apostle Paul, “Let him who stands beware, lest he fall”? (1 Cor 10.12). Trials and sorrows will assail us. But like these godly men, the sons of Korah, let us call on the Lord, “Hear my prayer, O LORD God Almighty; listen to me, O God of Jacob. Look upon our shield, O God; look with favor on your anointed one” (v 8,9). God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you” (Heb 13.5). But will you forsake Him as some do?

Pray and practise with me: Dear Lord, give me a deep and passionate love for YOU and not for anything You could give me! Keep singing that love song to God, ‘I need thee every hour most holy One! I need thee, O! I need thee, most gracious Lord!’ Amen.

No comments: