Friday, February 9, 2007

You Heard My Cry

IN MY ALARM I SAID, "I AM CUT OFF FROM YOUR SIGHT!" YET YOU HEARD MY CRY FOR MERCY WHEN I CALLED TO YOU FOR HELP. Psalm 31.22.

Have you ever felt ‘cut off from God’ or that ‘God has forsaken you? Do not think it is anything strange or even uncommon! Many good Christians have felt that way especially when they were going through some great trouble, deep distress or sudden calamity. Only one who truly believes in God and is assured of His love could feel something like that! Do you think that an atheist who does not believe even in God’s existence can say that, though sometimes he may be forced to by circumstances?

No one knows the occasion when David wrote this psalm. King David of Israel, even though he was one of the great kings of the olden times, had gone through much trouble from his enemies, serious sickness and even enmity from his own family! This time David was in some dire situation. He cried out to God as he had always done. He told the Lord how and what he exactly felt! He was no pious bigot, spiritual hypocrite or simple fool to ignore the facts of life and not tell God what was happening to Him – something that God already knew anyway!

It is good for us to cry out to God. Often it is of no use to cry out yourself or to people. It may be a good release of your emotions and good for your health and well-being. Your fellow believers and your church may help but most times they may not and certainly they cannot do so always! You need to cry out to God alone who can help!

What troubles are you going through now? Do you feel that God has forgotten you while he is favouring everyone else? Are you dejected and disappointed that God hasn’t heard your prayers? In your alarm, tell God like David, "I am cut off from your sight!" Lord! it looks like You have left me in my dire state. It is hurting. The greatest hurt, O Lord is that You are not there when I need You! All Your promises have failed me. All my prayers have gone unheeded!

Dear believer, it has been the repeated testimony of saints that when they cried out to God, He never failed to respond, though he might have tarried for His own reasons. They all have testified with David, “Yet the Lord heard my cry for mercy when I called to Him for help”. Not only in life with all its problems and troubles but even in death, God will give you the confidence. Remember David’s words, “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me”. Proclaim loud to yourself, “Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever” (Psa 23.4,6). Don’t entertain the devil’s lie that, “God has forgotten you!”

Pray and practise with me: Dear Lord, please assure me of Your love. I am deeply distressed. Come and help me so that I could say with King David, “the Lord heard my cry for mercy when I called to Him for help”. Amen.

No comments: