Saturday, June 23, 2007

How Short My Life Is

TEACH US HOW SHORT OUR LIFE IS SO THAT WE MAY BECOME WISE. Psalm 90.12.

Some years ago, a friend of mine, a publisher of the Bible and Christian books, visited me from India. He saw my thick devotional files with more than two years of daily writings. He was so thrilled that he suggested publishing it as ‘year books’. We thought of a title for the book. I suggested one: “A Thought for the Day”. He went back and wrote to me that a more interesting title would be “Your Inspirational Thought for the Day”.

I was thinking to myself, “How impoverished my own days would have been had I not gained those inspirational thoughts from the Bible each day!” They say, “You are what you think!” Do you know that a man does not and cannot think of new inspiring thoughts unless he receives it from outside of himself?” Unless you diligently seek something new to think about each day, it leaves you no opportunity for improvement or progress!

I had a small book entitled, “God’s Little Book of Instruction”. Each page contained an instruction from the Word of God. I had placed it in my living room where the family often sits and converses. It was for anyone to pick up and read and benefit. Every day, at least once, I would take it and read a page or two. I did so until someone picked up the book walked away with it!

Look at today’s Bible text. “Lord, teach us how short our life is, so that we may become wise”. When was the last time you thought of ‘how short your life is?’ Only a morbid young person or a very old one would think of the shortness of life or about death!

Dear believer, here it is! The Word of God is breaking into your strong and vibrant life full of activities, leaving no time to think about life itself. It is making you consider something that you would never do – the shortness of life! You are encouraged by the Word of God to ask Him ‘to teach us how short our life is, so that we may become wise and live wisely!’ Life is short.

Whether young, middle-aged, or older, you need to realise that life is short and decide to live wisely and make full use of it! I was shocked to hear of the sudden demise of a young successful business man at thirty-nine! I am greatly saddened when I see Christians who have grown in wealth and fame but gained nothing worthwhile in life! Had they read today's verse and prayed to God earnestly, “Lord, teach me how short my life is, so that I may become wise” how different their lives would have been!

Dear fellow believer, you ought to be inspired by a new thought each day to make your life exciting and worthwhile. Read God’s Word everyday and meditate on it. It will inspire you with challenging thoughts and will transform your life! You need to live wisely from cradle to grave in order to make the best of life and enjoy it. That is why Jesus said, "Man shall live not by bread alone but by every Word that proceeds from the mouth of God (Lk 4.4).

Pray and practise with me: Dear Lord, I thank You for “You came in order that I might have life---life in all its fullness” (Jn 10.10). Teach me how short my life is, so that I may become wise and keep following You. Amen.

No comments: