Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Log Out of Own Eye

YOU HYPOCRITE! FIRST TAKE THE LOG OUT OF YOUR OWN EYE, AND THEN YOU WILL BE ABLE TO SEE CLEARLY TO TAKE THE SPECK OUT OF YOUR BROTHER'S EYE. Matthew 7.5.

Surprisingly, you and I have an uncanny skill of finding out the fault in others. Even from childhood we develop it without being taught! Listen to the little ones in your home and see how quick they are to report to the parents about the wrong things their siblings have done? We carry on this trait and by adulthood we become experts in spotting the faults and failures of all others. By some strange twist of character, we also acquire the innate knack not to observe even the most obvious and blatant failures and faults of our own.

My wife and I like our home to be spick and span. Everything must be in its place and look perfect. We do not extravagantly decorate our home but all those who visit us usually remark, “How clean and beautiful the place looks!” It is therefore natural that we have become very observant of the untidiness in other homes and are quite intolerant of it! We may not tell people to their face but we will criticise them harshly between ourselves!

Lately, I had a shock when I noticed that some of the chairs in my surgery were old and torn! It had been so for some time but I didn’t notice it! But had it been someone else’s surgery in such a shabby state, I would have been criticising and complaining about the doctor to my wife! One day I came to my senses! I felt guilty for leaving my things in such bad state.

This is only a small incident of no great significance. But think about it! How quick we are to spot the many sins and wrongdoings of others when we ourselves indulge in them with impunity! We judge them and criticise harshly as if we are never guilty of such evil.

Jesus saw this inconsistency in the religious leaders and condemned it. He said, “You hypocrite! First take the log out of your own eye, and then you will be able to see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye”. The Lord warned, “Do not judge others, so that God will not judge you, for God will judge you in the same way you judge others, and he will apply to you the same rules you apply to others.”

Dear believer, therefore, let you be quick to judge yourself and slow to condemn others. Let us be strict and harsh with our sins and follies but lenient and gracious towards others. Let us correct ourselves before judging others and condemning their wrongs.

Pray and practice with me: Dear Lord, help me to stop judging and criticising others rashly. If I am guilty of the same wrongdoing, help me to stop indulging in them before condemning others. Amen.

No comments: