Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Defend Confidence In God

ALWAYS BE READY TO DEFEND YOUR CONFIDENCE IN GOD WHEN ANYONE ASKS YOU TO EXPLAIN IT. 1 Peter 3.15.

Some years ago, we were going through a terrible time of testing and trial. We had health problems one after the other. As though that were not enough, we had the most weird thing happen to us. We were living in a condominium where there were three apartment blocks. They were situated on the slope of a beautiful hill. We had wonderful views of mountain ranges on three sides. On the fourth side, there was a full view of the whole city sprawled out before us.

About fourteen years ago during one monsoon season, we had incessant rain for three consecutive weeks. The whole hillslope gave way. It came crashing down and took off the foundations of the block about 20 feet from ours! Within a few seconds, the whole 12-floor building collapsed killing 48 people.

Our family, hearing the terrible rumble and crash, ran to the balcony to see what was happening. The tragedy was unfolding before our very eyes! It was only moments later that we realised that the block adjacent to us was collapsing! Next could be ours! We left everything in our penthouse apartment and ran out for our lives. The power was gone and the lifts had failed. Along with all the other families, we climbed down the 12 floors helter-skelter! We couldn’t go back and live in our home anymore, for the whole area was declared unsafe.

Not too long after that incident, we were in India on a holiday. We visited a dear cousin of mine who was a very high official at that time. He knew that I was a keen Christian. He was puzzled that I was a staunch believer in God and very active in Christian work and in the church. He asked me, “How is it that inspite of all the terrible things that God has allowed in your life, you still have confidence in Him?”

I told him, “I trust in God for who He is: The Almighty God, the Sovereign Lord and Creator of all things, who has made me too! I know that He has loved me to give His Son, Jesus Christ to be my Saviour. I believe in the goodness of God and His ‘good will’ for me. I know that God has promised, “He works all things together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to his purpose” (Rom 8.28).

Dear friend, if you know your God like the apostle Paul did, you too can say, "I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord"(Rom 8.38,39).

Pray and practise with me: Dear Lord, I thank You for Your love to me and the whole world. I thank You for who You are and what You have done and what You are doing. To You be glory for ever and ever! Amen.

No comments: