Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Jesus' Favourite?

JESUS' FAVOURITE DISCIPLE TOLD PETER, "IT'S THE LORD". JOHN 21.7

Don't you like the way John, the disciple of Jesus, describes himself. Often he refers to himself in his gospel as, “Jesus’ favourite disciple!” The old versions translate it as, “The disciple whom Jesus loved!” John described himself as Jesus' favourite disciple! Love the Lord so much as did the young disciple and you too can say so!

The other day, my two younger granddaughters were talking to one another. One said, “I am my father’s pet!” Immediately the other retorted, “I am ‘my’ father’s pet!” I laughed with joy. While the children perceived their father’s love as special, I wouldn’t recommend father’s to have favourites! It brought such tragedy in Jacob's family as described in two little verses in the Bible. “Now Israel (Jacob) loved Joseph more than any of his other sons, because he had been born to him in his old age; and he made a richly ornamented robe for him. When his brothers saw that their father loved him more than any of them, they hated him and could not speak a kind word to him” (Gen 37.3,4).

You should so express your love to all your children in such a manner that each child would say, “I am my father’s favourite!” To my wife and I, every one of our four children is precious and each one is our favourite. We gave no occasion for any to think otherwise. We learned the lesson from the Bible from Jacob’s mistake!

Young John’s self-declaration of Jesus’ love for him compared to the others, is sincere and it is beautiful! In his gospel only do we find such a description and it is found there four times! John’s appreciation of Jesus’ love for him is most wonderful! He 'believed' that Jesus loved him the most!

It is fascinating the manner in which Martha and Mary sent word to Jesus about their brother’s illness, “Lord, the one you love is sick” (Jn 11.3). It’s no surprise that John mentions in his gospel about them, “Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus” (Jn 11.5).

It is an attitude that you should develop in your relationship with Jesus, your Saviour, Lord, friend and helper! I would love to say about myself now and again, what John said about himself, “The disciple whom the Lord loved!” It will take away all my anxiety and concerns in life. If I am loved by Jesus, why should I fear anything at all? He will take care of me and all my needs and problems!

Did Jesus really have any favourites? There are no instances in the gospels that give us reason to believe that He had! All those who love Him are His favourites! The disciples, John, Mary, Martha and Lazarus and for that matter, Mary Magdalene too, showed great love towards Jesus and He responded in return. They themselves and others who observed these interactions of love, spread the news that ‘Jesus loved them!’

John says in his gospel, “God so loved the world (the people) that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life” (Jn 3.16). God loves us all! Dear believer, the greater the manifestations of your love to the Lord, the greater would be His response and reciprocation. Then, you too will feel like John, believe like him and say, ‘I am the Lord’s favourite!’

Pray and practise with me: Dear Lord Jesus, You know that I love You. Let me love You more than all, and feel and experience Your love to me like John the disciple! Amen.

No comments: