Wednesday, July 25, 2007

You Created My Inner Being

YOU ALONE CREATED MY INNER BEING. YOU KNITTED ME TOGETHER INSIDE MY MOTHER. Psalm 139.13.

It was hard work spending days and nights learning embryology (science of the human embryo) in the medical college. The more I learned about the development of the human embryo from texts, the more I began to understand what the psalmist knew through divine revelation! That was long before embryology was developed and recorded. For those who have not learned about the development of the human embryo and do not have a clue as to how you and others came into existence, I cannot recommend any book better and more accurate than the Bible, and especially today’s passage.

Scientist Charles Darwin watched his aged father, they say, and came up with the theory of evolution which explains that man’s distant ancestors were monkeys! There are many who believe it! Today we are so civilised and intelligent that teaching the 'monkey business' is allowed but we refuse even to read from the Bible!

But, let me quote for you, David’s words, “Lord, You alone created my inner being. You knitted me together inside my mother. I will give thanks to you because I have been so amazingly and miraculously made. Your works are miraculous, and my soul is fully aware of this. My bones were not hidden from you when I was being made in secret, when I was being skillfully woven in an underground workshop. Your eyes saw me when I was only a fetus. Every day of my life was recorded in your book before one of them had taken place” (vs 13-16).

Once I was invited to speak in a church on ‘the sanctity of life’. I was convinced that the first thing one needs to know is that, if God made us so wonderfully and miraculously, then we have to consider each other’s life and body as precious and respect its sanctity! We do consider our lives and that of our families as very precious. We take care of them. That’s good.

But we need to care for the life and health of others and never harm or destroy them. The sixth commandment is, “You shall not murder” (Exo 20.13). Jesus taught that the second greatest commandment is, “Love your neighbour as yourself”. He said it is as great as the first (Mt 22. 39).The atrocities that people commit against one another, even to infants in the society nowadays are terribly inhumane!

One issue that bothers me as a medical doctor is the millions of abortions (killing of fetuses in the wombs), 50 to 100 million worldwide yearly, that take place. The major culprits are young unmarried couples who have illegitimate sex! Often the boys leave the girls during pregnancy and the girls cannot handle the unwanted babies alone. Christian young people, premarital sex is a sin against God and your partner! Abortion is murder of the baby in your womb!

There are also the Christian married couples who do not take due precautions, medical or otherwise, and hence face unwanted pregnancies. Millions go for abortions! Those who don’t, face much family constraints and severe financial burden! Christian parents have the solemn responsibility not only to bring forth children, whatever their number, but also to give each one of them adequate attention that a child should get. Much time must be spent on each, not the so called mythical 'quality but quantity time'. It alone could possibly bring our children up in the fear and favour of God and men. Let us show the world the way!

Pray and practise with me: Dear Lord, You have wonderfully created me and I praise You. Help me to give due consideration to the sanctity of life, mine and others too, especially children. Amen.

No comments: