Monday, November 13, 2006

Do Not Cast Me Off

DO NOT CAST ME OFF IN THE TIME OF OLD AGE; DO NOT FORSAKE ME WHEN MY STRENGTH FAILS. Psalm 71.9.

There is nothing more certain than old age, frailty and demise! Once I spent an hour or two with a young man, counselling and praying for him. He told me that he was turning forty and needed to work hard to provide for his old age and for his family!

In our large church, predominantly of young and middle-aged members, we met an elderly couple. The husband was 98 years old and frail. But they were full of joy for they were saved and baptised not too long ago! Thank God that both were in reasonably good health.

Old age can be a most difficult time for many, even for us, children of God. There are millions of older believers and even younger ones who are desperate in life. A great number are sick and bedridden. So many are facing all kinds of difficulties in life.

King David once prayed to His God, “You have been my hope, O Sovereign LORD, my confidence since my youth. From birth I have relied on you; you brought me forth from my mother's womb. I will ever praise you. In you, O LORD, I have taken refuge; let me never be put to shame” (vs 4,5,1).

Dear believer, King David’s prayer is a wonderful prayer to pray, not only when you are old or getting old, but even when you are young! Even though we know that God will not “cast us off in old age and forsake us when our strength fails”, still it is good to pray David’s prayer regularly, right through life.

Pray and practise with me: Dear Lord, I pray, bless me and give me strength equal to the days You have allotted for me and make me a blessing to others. Keep me and all Your people from evil so that it will not cause us pain all our life. In the Name of Jesus. Amen.

No comments: