Friday, November 17, 2006

Yours Is The Glory Forever

FOR YOURS IS THE GLORY FOREVER. Matthew 6.13.

Our prayers often tend to be a list of things we need! We go to God with that list as we go to the supermarket! But Jesus taught us to begin and end our prayer to our Father in heaven with praise and worship. On our own, you and I would never have been able to do it with such awesome and exalted words of worship and praise. Jesus knew this and so He taught us. See how He concluded the prayer by saying, “For yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen”.

We are to acclaim, “For Yours (God’s) is the … glory!” You and I haven’t witnessed the ‘glory of the Lord’ like His Old Testament people, Israel. It was Moses who first saw the glory of the Lord and the account goes like this: “There the angel of the LORD appeared to him in flames of fire from within a bush. Moses saw that though the bush was on fire it did not burn up. So Moses thought, “I will go over and see this strange sight--why the bush does not burn up.” When the LORD saw that he had gone over to look, God called to him from within the bush, "Moses! Moses!" And Moses said, "Here I am." "Do not come any closer," God said. "Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy ground." Then he said, "I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob." At this, Moses hid his face, because he was afraid to look at God” (Exo 3.2-6).

How I wish I could see the glory of the Lord for once! Then, I would know how distanced I am from Him because I am sinful and He is holy! When we take off ours sandals of sin and filth and stand alone on our holy ground, we will hear the Lord saying, “I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob”. What confidence it would inspire in us as we make our requests to Him.

Every time Moses and Joshua entered the tent of meeting (with the Lord) in the wilderness, we read, “Then the cloud covered the Tent of Meeting, and the glory of the LORD filled the tabernacle. Moses could not enter the Tent of Meeting because the cloud had settled upon it, and the glory of the LORD filled the tabernacle” (Exo 40.34,35).

Dear believer, if you desire to see the glory of the Lord, like Moses, you too must go to and enter ‘our Tent of meeting’ with the Lord. It’s that place Jesus described to us before He taught us the Lord’s prayer. “But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly”(Mt 6.6.).

Oh! Let the reality of God make you and I hide our face like Moses before Him. By faith let us know that He is also our Father in heaven to whom we have been praying. Let us assure ourselves and declare that He is the Lord of glory and He can and will answer our prayer!

Pray and practise with me: Dear Lord, I thank You for You have promised to meet me in my secret place. Let your glory be shown to me. I thank You for your promise to reward me openly! To You be the glory forever. Amen.

No comments: