Monday, November 13, 2006

God Makes Me Eager

THE SOVEREIGN LORD HAS TAUGHT ME WHAT TO SAY, SO THAT I CAN STRENGTHEN THE WEARY. EVERY MORNING HE MAKES ME EAGER TO HEAR WHAT HE IS GOING TO TEACH ME. Isaiah 50.4. (GNB)

I go for a quiet morning walk as often as I can, which is as much for exercise as it is for listening to what God has to teach me! The Holy Spirit lets all kinds of thoughts flood my mind. My own personal experiences and that of people from the Bible come alive in my mind and I ponder over them. I begin to grasp firmer the truths contained in the Word. I grapple with the issue of applying these to my life so that my life becomes more and more aligned to God’s Word. I pray that the Word may indeed become a light to my path and a lamp to my feet.

I pray that “the Sovereign LORD may teach me what to say”, so that I can strengthen the weary; teach those who are eager to learn; give counsel to the distressed; encourage those who are faltering; sustain the ones failing; stir up all to go forward in faith and knowledge and grow in the fellowship of the Lord and the saints.

It is a matter of great concern that God’s people, the young and the old alike, do not discipline their lives and devote time to ‘spend with the Lord and His Word!’ The other night, I was conselling a fine young Christian who used to spend much time serving the Lord in various ministries, when he was freer. Now that he is busy with his family and work, he finds just enough time to read the Bible from the internet!

The pity is that many such believers are really fine Christians who love the Lord. Some may even be devoting time to serve the Lord. God may be blessing them much and they may be strictly giving their tithes. But, there is a great hidden folly in this kind of spirituality. You are not hearing God everyday and living a life of obedience as He teaches you from His Word.

Listen, what the prophet said in today’s verse about the Lord Jesus Christ, “Every morning the Lord makes me eager to hear what he is going to teach me”. The psalmist also tells about Him, “My voice You shall hear in the morning, O LORD; In the morning I will direct it to You, And I will look up” (Psalm 5.3). If our Lord needed it, how much more you need it!

Dear believer, in our day when many Christians are satisfied with superficial spirituality, you need to seek genuine spiritual reality in your life with God! It comes only through growing in grace and the knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ through the daily reading of God’s Word and prayer.
Pray and practise with me: Dear Lord, if You needed to hear God the Father every morning I need to much more! Lord, make me want to hear You each day. Help me to make time to seek You, whom I say ‘I love!’ Amen

No comments: