Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Go Into Your Room & Pray

WHEN YOU PRAY, GO INTO YOUR ROOM, AND WHEN YOU HAVE SHUT YOUR DOOR, PRAY TO YOUR FATHER WHO IS IN THE SECRET PLACE. Matthew 6.6.

We have spent about a week studying “the Lord’s Prayer’ and its implications and practice. I trust it has been of value to you and that you have begun to pray daily.

Before we leave the Lord’s prayer, let me stress on some of the important issues related to prayer which the Lord highlighted for us to take note of and act upon. They will help you and me in pursuing prayer effectively and to expect a positive response from our Father in heaven.

When the Lord began teaching His disciples ‘to pray’, He started off by saying “When you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly”. You may ask, “Every time I pray, should I get into my room and shut the door and pray secretly to God?”

This reminds me of asking a brother in ‘full-time ministry’ with whom I was associated, about his prayer life. By the way, all responsible pastors and leaders should not leave things to chance as to how the believers fare in their spiritual life! This brother told me, “I am always praying!” That sounded wonderful. The Bible commands us to, “pray without ceasing or continually” (1 Thes 5.17). But on further enquiry, he told me that he has no “special time or season of prayer fellowship with God!” What a tragedy!!

It is not easy to have a ‘special time of prayer’ daily, especially today when all are busy and loaded with more things than we can accomplish in our 24 hours! BUT, when Jesus tells you to do something, ‘you better obey, whatever the cost or how difficult it may be!’ He knows what is best and necessary for you. What the Lord asks you to do, He will help you to do! ONLY YOU MUST HAVE THE WILL TO DO!

Let me suggest to you ‘3 Ds’ which will help you to obey Jesus and pray as He taught. Wait to see what wonders it will do in your life!

1. DECISION. Say to yourself now, “I WILL DO IT!”

2. DISCIPLINE. Fix a convenient PLACE AND TIME! (Gradually try to offer at least half an hour in your 24 hours for God! Mind you, one tenth of all you have is God’s. That is 2 1/2 hours a day!! Read Malachi 3.8-10).

3. DETERMINATION. Stick to your schedule and NEVER GIVE UP. Failing for one day is no reason to stop forever but to start again and again and again!

Pray and practise with me: Dear Lord, if You asked me, “when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place”, it is because I need to do it! Forgive me for not obeying you. Help me to start doing it today and to never stop! Amen.

No comments: