Thursday, November 30, 2006

A Man's Heart Plans His Way

A MAN'S HEART PLANS HIS WAY, BUT THE LORD DIRECTS HIS STEPS. Proverbs 16.9.

Some years ago, my wife and I took the two thousand-mile drive from Seattle, USA to Jasper in Canada through the winding Rocky Mountain Parkway and back in just seven days. It was quite a challenge! As we drove along the never-ending mountainous pathway, for no apparent reason, I heard myself singing the words of the well-loved hymn by the famous blind Christian song-writer, Fanny Crosby:

“All the way my Saviour leads me—What have I to ask beside?Can I doubt his tender mercyWho through life has been my Guide?Heav'nly peace, divinest comfort,Here by faith in him to dwell—For I know, whate'er befall me,Jesus doeth all things well.All the way my Saviour leads me,Cheers each winding path I tread,Gives me grace for ev'ry trial,Feeds me with the living Bread.Though my weary steps may falter,And my soul athirst may be,Gushing from the rock before me,Lo, a spring of joy I see!”

I have a feeling that the words of this song came to my mind because I was trying to accomplish the impossible task of enjoying the wonderful scenery while trying to drive along safely on those precipitous roads! It was quite a feat and the left-hand drive which I was not used to, compounded the danger.

You and I are daily continuing on our pathway of life, full of the unknowns and the unexpected. Yes! Our hands may be on the steering but it is not we who drive! Often we think that we are in control but we are not! It is God who controls our lives through all the ‘good and bad!’

Blessed are those who have realised and acknowledged it, and go on in life singing, “All the way my Saviour leads me!” The Bible says, “A man's heart plans his way, But the LORD directs his steps” (Pro 16.9).

Pray and practise with me: Dear Lord, I thank You for it is not I who is in control of my life but YOU! You cannot and will not make a mistake! I commit my life to You! Amen.

No comments: