Friday, January 5, 2007

All Souls Are Mine

BEHOLD ALL SOULS ARE MINE …THE SOUL WHO SINS SHALL DIE. Ezekiel 18.4.

One Sunday morning, we went to church as usual. Ours is a big church with a crowd nearing 1,800 people at each service. It is a thrill to shake hands with many, knowing that we all belong to the people of God. There is a wonderful sense of joy to be in the midst of hundreds and thousands of people who are ‘saved’. They are all people who had been sinners – ‘small sinners and big sinners’, if there is anything like that! We were all destined to die in our sins for that is what God says in today’s text: “THE SOUL WHO SINS SHALL DIE”. We all have escaped ‘spiritual death or second death or separation from God eternally’ because God has graciously forgiven all our sins as we accepted Jesus as our Saviour.

We came out of our church and drove through the crowded streets passing along the jungle of tall apartment blocks where thousands upon thousands of our city people live. I felt sick in my soul when I thought that most of them do not know our Saviour and they are living in their sin. I felt sad and frustrated thinking of the verse, “THE SOUL WHO SINS SHALL DIE”.

Once, my wife and I attended the wedding reception of a friend. A couple with their two little children came and sat at our table. We made friends and during our conversation I noticed a little cross pendent on the wife’s neck. That provided an open door for witnessing. I asked her husband who was next to me, “Are you Christians?” He smiled and said, “My wife and children go to church but I don’t”. As we continued conversing, the lady said, “You should hear my little daughter and son pleading with their father to go to church with them”. They tell him, “If he doesn’t, they won’t be able to see him in heaven!’”

O! that the Lord would give you, who are saved, a passion for the souls of people around you – your relatives and friends! Friend, you will see them in hell tormented if you don’t pull them out from its gates. Jesus said it so believe it! (Lk 16.23), Listen to the apostle Paul, “I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some (1 Cor 9.2). Go ahead and do it! Be it by your prayers, tears, actions and words too!

Pray and practise with me: Dear Lord, You came from heaven to seek and save me from my sin and the torment of hell. You gave Your life for me. Lord, help me to do everything possible to save others who are around me. Amen.

No comments: