Thursday, January 4, 2007

Before I Even Speak

BEFORE I EVEN SPEAK A WORD YOU KNOW WHAT I WILL SAY. Psalm 139.4. (CEV)

We had our evening prayer around our dinner table. I thanked God for many blessings including our creation – wonderful and mysterious. Later, as I was telling my wife that God has marvelously made us out of billions of different cells with all the complicated DNA etc. all functioning in precision, she said, “When God spoke, everything including man came into being!” Being a medical scientist, I remarked, “But He must have had the blue print in His mind!” She added, “Isn’t it hard to believe that Some One created it all?” I said, “To a scientist it must be harder to believe that nobody rather than Some One did it!”

Later as I sat reading today’s Bible text, it was a fascinating revelation of God which was both consoling and encouraging. “Before I even speak a word, He knows what I will say, but with His powerful arm He will protect me from every side”. Soon it was bed time. I cast all my anxious thoughts on my wonderful Creator God. Soon I was in deep slumber like a babe!

In today’s psalm, a song of King David, he lays down this great doctrine, ‘That the God with whom we have to do has a perfect knowledge of us, and that all the motions and actions both of our inward and of our outward man are naked and open before him’ (Mathew Henry). So often when you are faced with pressing problems of life and wonder ‘where God is or whether He knows our situation’, it is good to turn to this wonderful psalm and assure yourself of the “omniscience ” (all-knowing character) and the omnipotency (all-powerful character) of our God.

If this God created me in my mother’s womb ever so mysteriously that the scientists wonder at the marvel of my body and mind, why shouldn’t I trust Him to take care of me? The psalmist says, “God’s thoughts (about me) are far beyond my understanding, much more than I could ever imagine” (v.17). When you are going through trials and temptations, the revelations about God in this psalm may not make much sense. But keep believing it is true, for it is the Word of God! It has to be true! Listen to the apostle Paul’s argument, “What if some did not have faith? Will their lack of faith nullify God's faithfulness? Not at all! Let God be true, and every man a liar” (Rom 3.3,4).

Why don’t you make a strong commitment to trust God at all times, come what may!” He has promised “never to leave you or forsake you!”(Heb 13.5).

Pray and practise with me: Dear Lord, I trust in You and entrust all my cares to You. Keep me through all life’s temptations and trials. In Jesus Name. Amen.

No comments: