Thursday, May 31, 2007

Bible Is God's Words

FOR PROPHECY NEVER HAD ITS ORIGIN IN THE WILL OF MAN, BUT MEN SPOKE FROM GOD AS THEY WERE CARRIED ALONG BY THE HOLY SPIRIT. 2 Peter 1.21.

When I witness to people from the Bible, many ask me, “How do you know that the Bible is God’s Word? It is only a book written by people!” I say, “I believe it is God’s own Word”. But they are not convinced!

There are a lot of Christians too who do not believe that the Bible is fully the Word of God. They may admit that it contains God’s messages, but written by only men. Hence, of course, they do not believe all that the Bible says, literally! These are people who do not believe in the total inspiration of the Bible. There are many others who believe the Bible is the inspired Word of God but not all parts or everything in it!

Your prayer and mine should always be, “Lord, help us all to believe Your Word to be wholly, verbally inspired by You and inerrant and unchanging from age to age and transcends culture to culture. Amen.”

Many ask, “How did God wholly inspire men to write His own Words?” Thank God that we do not have to guess! The Bible explains it. Look at today’s text: “prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit”.

I can very well appreciate what this verse teaches us about the origin of the Scriptures. When I consider the daily devotionals that I write, I often feel that the thoughts and words are flowing through me, inspired by the Holy Spirit and not from me. The reason why I say so is that there is no way in which I could by myself have come up with much of the spiritual inputs in them. I do not gather them from Bible commentaries though I studied them diligently in my younger days! If you ask me to reproduce any of my devotionals, I will be at a loss. I know how I struggle to rewrite any one of them when it accidentally gets deleted from the computer!

I certainly have the benefit of the written Word of God in writing the devotionals. But these men wrote the Bible. They were the very words of God, inspired and instilled in them by the Holy Spirit. Think of John, James and Peter, the unlearned fishermen of Galilee writing the gospel and the epistles by their names, and you will not doubt that it was not they but the Holy Spirit in them that inspired not only the message but the very words in them! The content and the literature are so sublime and divine that not even the greatest writer of all times could compose them! That is why I believe in the verbal inspiration of the Bible!

Pray and practise with me: Dear Lord, I believe the Bible to be Your Word, though written by men. Help me to study it diligently and obey its precepts. Amen.

No comments: