Friday, May 25, 2007

I Think About All You've Done

I REMEMBER THE DAYS GONE BY; I THINK ABOUT ALL THAT YOU HAVE DONE, I BRING TO MIND ALL YOUR DEEDS. Psalm 143.5.

There was a time when I walked up and down the corridors of a hospital where my dear wife lay in the ICU unconscious and critically ill. It was more than a decade ago. She had suffered a burst cerebral aneurysm which threatened her life by the minute.

Days dragged on and tests multiplied and the danger to her life too! Our four children, relatives and Christian friends from far and near were praying. I was fasting and praying and running up and down discussing with doctors as to what was best to do to save her life. I had exhausted all my physical and spiritual resources. There were prayers and more prayers and fasting too!

What more could a desperate husband do? As I lingered in the corridors of the hospital, I ceased praying for a moment and I did what the poor psalmist, King David did! ‘I began remembering the days gone by; I thought about all that the Lord had done and recounted the deeds of God to us and our family’. I found that it was the best way to boost my flagging faith! Boost my faith, it did, even in the midst of great hopelessness.

I recalled all the good promises of God in the Bible. Some I had been carrying in my purse for emergencies like this. One promise read, “now, this is what the LORD says-- he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior; I give Egypt for your ransom, Cush and Seba in your stead. Since you are precious and honored in my sight, and because I love you, I will give men in exchange for you, and people in exchange for your life” (Isa 43.1-4).

I kept singing out a beautiful and faith-inspiring chorus we often sing, the words of which was in my wallet, “Our Lord God! Thou hast made the heavens, And the earth by Thy great power, Our Lord God! Thou hast made the heavens, And the earth by Thy outstretched arm: Nothing is too difficult for Thee (x2), O great and mighty God, Great in counsel and mighty in deed, Nothing, nothing absolutely nothing, Nothing is too difficult for Thee!”

The apostle Paul said, “faith comes from what is heard, and what is heard comes through the word of Christ” (Rom 10.17). Dear friend, let the Word of Christ dwell in you richly (Col 3.16). Keep reading it day and night. Then, you too will be able to do what I did like David in his great distress and consternation, “I remember the days gone by; I think about all that you have done, I bring to mind all your deeds”.

Pray and practise with me: Dear Lord, help me to hide Your Word in my heart by reading it as much as I can every day. Let it increase my faith in Your almighty power to do great things. Amen.

No comments: