Thursday, May 24, 2007

Comfort With God's Comfort

GOD COMFORTS US WHEN WE ARE IN TROUBLE SO THAT WE CAN SHARE THAT SAME COMFORT WITH OTHERS IN TROUBLE. 2 Corinthians 1.4.

I have often overheard my wife enthusiastically telling her ‘life-saving story’ to many people. She never tires narrating it to anyone anywhere, especially to those who are hurting or sick. In the year 1991 she dropped dead due to a burst aneurysm in her brain. The only reason she survived was that God did several miracles to deliver her from death, heal her and comfort us all beyond our imagination.

I am a rather private person and I do not volunteer so readily to tell people of several of God’s miraculous deliverances from death on many occasions. I and my family have experienced the continuing comfort of our God and Father for more than seven decades!

There are many who can sympathise with others in their distress. But only those who have gone through the same trial as the distressed can empathise with them effectively. I have noticed that those who are in need, especially those in great distress, listen to my wife's tale with rapt attention. I can see from their faces the bright response, “If God could do that for her, surely He could do it for me too!” A peace and hope arise from their hearts. That is God comforting them through the comforting words of my wife, who herself has been comforted by God, the Father of all comfort!

By no means was the trial that my wife went through ordinary or simple. Only a few people have survived her ordeal and that too not without much residual physical effects like paralysis and brain damage! I too can relate the many times God had comforted and delivered me from even death! The trials were not pleasant or easy to bear. We learned the truth of God’s Word, “no trials seem to be joyful for the present, but painful; nevertheless, afterward it yields the peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.”

God has trained us and others who have gone through tough times. Therefore we endeavour to “strengthen the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees, and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be dislocated, but rather be healed” (Heb 12.11 -13).

Dear friend, you cannot avoid sufferings and trials. But you can turn to God, the Father of all comfort, and He will surely comfort you. When you are trained by God, rise up and comfort others and be excited to do it!

Pray and practise with me: Dear Lord, I thank You for in all my trials You were there for me to comfort me, whatever the outcome! Help met to comfort the many out there who are suffering. Help me to comfort them with Your comfort. Amen.

No comments: