Friday, September 14, 2007

About Material Possessions

LIFE IS NOT ABOUT HAVING A LOT OF MATERIAL POSSESSIONS. Luke 12.15.

The other day, a friend of mine who is an architect came to see me in my office. While conversing, he told me about a doctor whom we both knew. He was retuning from visiting the home of the doctor as he was commissioned to build him a new house. The architect took some time to describe the wealth of the doctor. He possessed many houses and much land. He has a dozen or so vintage cars that were parked all over the place. Now, he plans to put up a house costing a few millions!

It was quite natural that later on, in my quiet moments, I contemplated about the conversation I had with my friend about the wealth that doctor accumulated during his life-time. I also thought of what I had gained! I have everything I need which God in His grace had provided for me during my life-time. Yet, the thought that ‘I didn’t make’ as much as the doctor my friend mentioned, nagged me occasionally for some time!

As someone said, “Our God has a sense of humour!” For, it was when these random thoughts of material possessions overtook me that today’s Bible verse came up for my meditation. “Life is not about having a lot of material possessions”. Jesus also said, “Be careful to guard yourselves from every kind of greed”. In order to prove His point, Jesus told the parable about “the Rich Fool!”

“A rich man had land that produced good crops. He thought, 'What should I do? I don't have enough room to store my crops.' …I'll say to myself, “You've stored up a lot of good things for years to come. Take life easy, eat, drink, and enjoy yourself.” “But God said to him, 'You fool! I will demand your life from you tonight! Now who will get what you've accumulated?' That's how it is when a person has material riches but is not rich in his relationship with God” (Lk 12.16-21).

Jesus told the people, “Everyone in the world is concerned about the things in life, but your Father knows you need them. Rather, be concerned about his kingdom. Then these things will be provided for you. Don't be afraid... Your Father is pleased to give you the kingdom. Sell your material possessions, and give the money to the poor. Make yourselves wallets that don't wear out! Make a treasure for yourselves in heaven that never loses its value! In heaven thieves and moths can't get close enough to destroy your treasure. Your heart will be where your treasure is” (vs 30-34).

Dear friend, while Jesus demanded some to sell all and follow him, for most of us it a call to total contentment in Him before all things worldly. The apostle Paul taught, “But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. People who want to get rich fall into temptation and traps and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil.

Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness” (1 Tim 6.6-11). Don't be eager for money and devote all your time and energy for it. Discipline your life to seek His kingdom first!

Pray and practise with me: Dear Lord, help me to stop thinking always of having more of this world's riches. Let me trust You for all my needs. Help me start sharing what You have given me with those who do not have! Amen.

No comments: