Monday, September 17, 2007

Jesus Sees Your Troubles

JESUS SAW THAT THE DISCIPLES WERE IN A LOT OF TROUBLE. HE CAME TO THEM WALKING ON THE SEA. Mark 6.48.

A dear old lady, a member of our church came to me after our Sunday worship. She told me crying, "Tomorrow I am going to face a deep financial crisis. Please pray for me!" People go through a great deal of trouble. So do you and I! There seems to be no end to it! We are puzzled as to ‘why we have so much trouble when we are the children of God! Shouldn’t we be always safe and sound? Don’t we have a great God who has given us many promises to deliver us from all our troubles?’

Yes! All the good promises of God are all there in the Bible for us. But we seem to have forgotten that at the same time our Lord Jesus Christ forewarned us before He left, “In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world” (Jn 16.33). He also told us even as He ascended to heaven, “All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age” (Mt 28.18,20).

Therefore, dear believer, you must pluck courage in every trouble and face it with the confidence that God is on your side and the Lord Jesus is always present with you! Look at today’s Bible passage and see how Jesus responded to the troubles the disciples were in. They were caught in a terrible storm on the sea of Galilee. This is how Mark describes it: ‘Jesus saw that they were in a lot of trouble as they rowed, because they were going against the wind. He came to them, walking on the sea”. Jesus got into the boat with them, and the wind stopped blowing. The disciples were astounded. They were delivered from drowning in the sea.

The story sounds very much like the deliverance of the Israelites from Egypt. Listen to what the Lord said to Moses, “I have indeed seen the misery of my people in Egypt. I have heard them crying out because of their slave drivers, and I am concerned about their suffering. So I have come down to rescue them from the hand of the Egyptians and to bring them up out of that land into a good and spacious land, a land flowing with milk and honey” (Exo 3.7,8).

Dear believer, you may be in a lot of trouble. That’s not surprising! Jesus has forewarned you. But you can trust Him to deliver you from your trouble or take you through it. Jesus sees, He knows, He is concerned and He comes to your help. Of this you can be sure! Jesus will keep His Word! The psalmist said, “God is our present help in trouble (Psa 46.1). Keep on trusting! Cry out to God! Say like poor old Job in his great distress, "Though God slay me, yet will I hope in him" (Job 13.15).

Pray and practise with me: Dear Lord, the testimonies in the Bible and that of many others give me confidence in You and Your promises. They are proof to me that You will be my help too in my time of trouble. Amen.

No comments: