Tuesday, December 5, 2006

God's Love Unshaken

THOUGH THE MOUNTAINS BE SHAKEN AND THE HILLS BE REMOVED, YET MY UNFAILING LOVE FOR YOU WILL NOT BE SHAKEN NOR MY COVENANT OF PEACE BE REMOVED," SAYS THE LORD, WHO HAS COMPASSION ON YOU. Isaiah 54.10.

Some years ago when I was suddenly diagnosed with cancer colon, my world crumbled! Being a doctor, I knew what awaited me. During those traumatic days, I happened to find the chorus: “Though the mountains may depart and the hills may be removed, my steadfast love shall not depart from you, and my covenant of love shall not be removed, says the Lord, who has compassion for you”. I learned to play it on the piano and never ceased to sing until the terrors passed away!

It was a dream come true to be in Banff, Canada once! I had read about Banff as one of the most beautiful places on earth and I desired to visit it! Nestled in the lap of the surrounding high and lofty Rocky Mountains, this little ‘Alpine’ town was beautiful beyond description.

Early in the morning, before the sun was up, I was seated on the open terrace of a quite Japanese Inn, my head turned upwards and eyes glued to the pinnacles of three rocky mountains that overlooked us. It was the middle of summer and there was no snow on the mountain-tops. The barren rocks were piercing into the bright blue skies above.

Not only did they look immense but ‘eternal!’ God only knows how many eons ago these rocks erupted from the belly of the earth through volcanic explosions. There they stood before me, challenging all odds and determined to last forever! There I sat humbled by the majesty of these mighty mountains. Their ‘eternal’ nature engaged my attention, filled my mind and occupied my thoughts. I said to myself, “If these Rockies are eternal, how much more “Eternal” is their Creator?”

I cherished my lofty thoughts and remembered the words of the psalmist, “I lift up my eyes to the hills-- where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth” (Psa 121.1,2). The Lord God Almighty, the Maker of the very mountains before me is eternal in every way. The Lord’s might, wisdom and knowledge are eternal. His love is eternal – everlasting. His mercy is eternal – endures forever. His forgiveness is eternal – never-ending. His favour is eternal – lasts forever. His grace is eternal – ever-flowing down. His compassion is eternal – never ceases. His faithfulness is eternal – from generation to generation. His blessings are eternal – new every morning.

The sun was already high in the sky and it was time to go up those mountains by gondola! I do not think there ever was a moment when I failed to gaze upon those hills and think of our “Eternal God and Everlasting Father” during our time in beautiful Banff and drive through the Rocky mountain Parkway! How I wish I could re-visit Banff and the Rocky Mountains in the fall and early spring to behold their beauty and be overwhelmed by the greatness of our Creator!

Dear believer, why not make some time and visit one of your hill-sites to gaze leisurely at its beauty and praise the Creator?

Pray and practise with me: Dear Lord, “Before the mountains were brought forth, Or ever You had formed the earth and the world, Even from everlasting to everlasting, You are God” (Psa 90.2). I praise You and worship You. Amen.

No comments: