Wednesday, December 6, 2006

The Spirit Testifies

THE SPIRIT HIMSELF TESTIFIES WITH OUR SPIRIT THAT WE ARE GOD'S CHILDREN. Romans 8.16.

Have you ever felt that you have greatly sinned against God and that He is angry with you and will never forgive you? Perhaps you might have felt very guilty for doing something which you yourself consider so bad. You fear that you have lost God’s love and favour!

Often when you are struck by some misfortune or hit by some sickness, such feelings overtake you. You ask yourself, “Why has this terrible thing happened to me?” Satan, our soul’s enemy, is quick to suggest to you, “It is God’s punishment. You have done something wrong! God is angry with you. God does not consider you His child any more!” Already, you are feeling guilty of some misdeed. Sometimes, it may not even be any sinful deed. Perhaps, you were not able to give as much time to God as before in reading the Bible, taking time to pray or attending the Sunday church service! But still Satan tries to accuse you of something or the other. He deliberately tries to make you feel that God has forsaken you as His child!

The Bible tells us, “all who received Jesus, to those who believed in his name, He gave the right to become children of God” (Jn 1.12). You know that. But now that you are going through some trouble, Satan takes the opportunity to begin questioning your relationship with God as His child. The greater your trouble, the greater you doubt God’s love.

That is the time the Holy Spirit comes to your help, if you have genuinely accepted Jesus Christ as your Saviour. The Bible says, “The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children”. Furthermore, God’s Word says, “For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father" (v.15). Thank God for His Holy Spirit.

I have mentioned about my encounter with cancer. I fasted for three weeks and prayed for a miracle. My family joined in earnest prayer. But there was no miracle and I had to have a major surgery! I confessed all the sins I ever committed, even those old ‘forgiven and forgotten ones too!’ I felt like my Lord in the garden of Gethsemane as I cried out like Him, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me!” (Mt 27.46). But, I knew and believed that I am God’s child and that He would never forsake me. My confidence came from the Scripture that says, “The Spirit himself was testifying with my spirit that I am God's child”.

Dear child of God, Jesus said, “In this world you will have trouble!” If you are going through any kind of trouble, don’t doubt your Father’s love. Don’t let Satan or even your own conscience accuse you of any wrong. Simply confess all sins and God will forgive and He will cleanse you of all unrighteousness. Trust the Holy Spirit to testify to your spirit that you are God’s child!

Pray and practise with me: Dear Lord, I thank You for Your Holy Spirit who helps me to call You “Abba Father”. Let Your Holy Spirit testify to me that I am Your child and remove my every doubt in times of distress. Amen.

No comments: