Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Things You Have Heard Me Say

THE THINGS YOU HAVE HEARD ME SAY, ENTRUST TO RELIABLE MEN WHO WILL ALSO BE QUALIFIED TO TEACH OTHERS. 2 Timothy 2.2.

One of my greatest concerns as parents, is to pass to the next generation, especially my children, all that has been entrusted to us by our parents, spiritually, socially, morally and even culturally. It is our hope that they will pass them on to their children and they to their children so that the great heritage we received from our forefathers would go from generation to generation until our Lord Jesus Christ comes again! It is for this same reason that I began writing these devotionals so that an up-and-coming generation of young believers all over the world may be benefitted through the spiritual things that I share with them.

My wife tries to gather our clan of four children, three in-laws and thirteen grandchildren as often as circumstances permit. I am very particular that all of us get occasions to sit together for a meal and thereafter talk things over. I try to make use of these times to pass on all the good things we learned from our godly parents and grandparents. So regular and boring those ‘talkathons’ might be that when their mother/grandmother invites them for a meal, they hesitate thinking that it is for another of dad’s/grandpa’s favourite talks!

I can imagine the great concern the aged apostle Paul had for his son Timothy and other young believers like Titus, Epaphras, Epaphrodites, Mark and many others. He was writing one of his last letters and he knew he was soon going to be with his Master and Lord. He was making sure that they would be faithful men who would teach others the precepts and practices which he passed on to them.

Dear believer, learn from the Lord diligently His teaching. Receive from your fathers and leaders what they have learned from their elders. It is the wisdom of the age handed down from generations which you cannot buy! Godly parents are a heritage from the Lord, just as good children are! What God has given us freely, let none belittle or lose!

God says in His Word, “Listen, my sons and daughters, to a father's instruction; pay attention and gain understanding. I give you sound learning, so do not forsake my teaching. .. Lay hold of my words with all your heart; keep my commands and you will live. Get wisdom, get understanding; do not forget my words or swerve from them” (Pro 4.1-5).

Pray and practise with me: Dear Lord, I thank You for giving me parents and teachers, both spiritual and physical. Grant me wisdom to give heed to their words and pass them on to others. Amen.

No comments: