Monday, December 4, 2006

Pray For Your Country

SEEK THE PEACE AND PROSPERITY OF THE CITY TO WHICH I HAVE CARRIED YOU INTO EXILE. PRAY TO THE LORD FOR IT, BECAUSE IF IT PROSPERS, YOU TOO WILL PROSPER. Jeremiah 29.7.

Malaysia celebrated its 50th Merdeka (Independence Day) on 31st August. The government encouraged the people to fly the national flag to show their patriotism. But as the Mayor of Kuala Lumpur bemoaned, the response was feeble!

I had some spare national flags with me and I passed them on to some friends so that they could fly them in their homes or stick them on their cars. But one said, “I am not going to fly any flag! Why should I, when I am discriminated at work, deprived of opportunities and promotions, and receive no privileges like some others. I am treated as a second class citizen in my own country!” He is not the only person who feels so and expresses his dissatisfaction towards his country and the government. Unfortunately, the two predominant ‘immigrant races’, though citizens, do feel the same way.

My thoughts went back to about 2,600 years ago when the Israelites, the people of God, were exiles and slaves in Babylon. Surely, they hated their fate. They disliked their masters who oppressed them. They had prophets (false) who prophesied and encouraged the people to hate the land of oppression.

Hear what God had to say to His people in those circumstances. His words through the prophet Jeremiah would come as a surprise and is a lesson to all those people of Malaysia who are so disappointed about the nation and its government - “Seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile. Pray to the LORD for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper."

Notice that it is God who has placed you where you are. He knows all your circumstances and is aware of your disadvantages and disappointments. He sees from heaven everything that is happening to you. Believe me, what He did before to his Old Testament people long ago, He will do again for you, His child!

But you must obey God’s Word, for it is true and applicable to all generations. With all the limitations and deprivations that exist, God has still blessed you in your land and prospered you. Begin therefore to praise God and pray for the nation and its leaders. You are a citizen of the country and be proud of it. Celebrate all the good that you are enjoying. Nothing can always be good in any country. So tell God what is wrong and ask Him to put things right. He will do it in His time for He is still ‘the God of Israel and of all nations’’. You could and should voice your criticisms and complaints through the newspapers or write or e-mail to your parliamentarians. Some good will come. Let your children grow to be proud of their land and enjoy its peace and prosperity, as you pray with them for the country.

Pray and practise with me: Dear Lord, You want me to pray for my country, seek its peace and prosperity. Help me to do it for the good of my family and myself and all the people. Amen.

No comments: