Wednesday, December 13, 2006

The Lord Is All I Have

THE LORD IS ALL I HAVE, AND SO IN HIM I WILL PUT MY HOPE. (GNB) Lam 3.24.

It is common human reaction that when we suffer, we either think that God is punishing us for our sins or that we are being afflicted unjustly. It is the same with those who believe in God and those who do not! But those who unflinchingly trust in God and His goodness will survive their afflictions and their hope in Him will ultimately be rewarded.

The prophet Jeremiah is a good example for us who suffer justly or unjustly. He suffered for speaking up for God and prophesying things that his people didn’t cherish to hear. Probably his words that we read today were uttered from the deep muddy well in the courtyard of the King of Judah, into which he was thrown for prophesying the truth. Listen to him carefully and learn how to withstand the test of trials or join with him if you are already in the heat of troubles.

When we think that we are suffering unjustly, or God is afflicting us without cause, then we should cry out to God like the prophet Jeremiah. He told a mouthful to God about his woes. He wasn’t like some pious people who wouldn’t open their mouths and express their distress to God fearing that it might upset Him. Jeremiah wasn’t a hypocrite either. He told God that He was unfair and unjust in causing him trouble and grief when he was bravely facing people and telling them the bad news that God had for them! Jeremiah told God that his soul was downcast because all he hoped from God did not materialise!

But there was one good thing that Jeremiah did. Like all saintly people who trusted in God but still had to suffer, he kept clinging to God. He assured himself saying, “The Lord is all I have, and so in him I will put my hope”.

The saintly suffering psalmist and temple musician, Asaph, once said, “My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. But as for me, it is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign LORD my refuge; I will tell of all your deeds” (Psa 73.26-28).

Dear believer, in all your troubles, problems, difficulties, sickness, pain and even death, remember the Lord is with you. “The Lord is all that you have!” Nothing or no one else can help you! Trust in the Lord and wait for him. He will help you out or take you through!

Pray and practise with me: Dear Lord, I thank You for You are all I have to trust and to hold on to amidst my present trials. Therefore I will hope in you. Amen.

No comments: