Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Christ Gives Me Strength

I CAN DO EVERYTHING THROUGH CHRIST WHO GIVES ME STRENGTH. Philippians 4.13.

When you are young, it is natural to feel that ‘you can do anything you want!’ It may be just a youthful boast. Older ones too, who are well and strong might also feel they can do anything! I too feel I can do many things! But at my age I cannot cope with all the things the youngsters do!

The apostle Paul was already quite old. He had some incapacitating sickness which made him dependent on the believers. To top it all, he was a prisoner in a lonely cell in Rome, chained to two soldiers, day and night. He couldn’t go anywhere freely or do anything he wanted!

So hopeless was his circumstance and yet the apostle wrote these words to the believers at Philippi, “I can do everything!” Have you ever wondered how someone in Paul's situation could utter such boastful words? The reason, he gives in the second part of his statement, “I can do everything through him who gives me strength”. The Contemporary English Version (CEV) correctly puts it in the order of its emphasis, “Christ gives me the strength to face anything”.

My dear friends, these are days when we face both the goodness of the Lord and the wile attacks of the devil. We experience it in our families, our extended families and friends, and among our church members too! Everyday is filled with gains and losses, success and defeat, health and sickness, joy and sadness and even life and death. No one is exempt. Sometimes the righteous suffer the most. It could be that the devil can’t stand the righteous rejoicing in the Lord’s goodness, like as in the life of Job!

Dear friend, you and I need to learn the secret of trusting in the strength of the Lord Jesus Christ, come what may! We need to gain the power in our inner man that comes from the continuous fullness and power of the Holy Spirit alone. Here is Paul's secret of “How to be filled continuously by the Holy Spirit”. Listen carefully for many do not know how! “Be filled with the Spirit - by reciting psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs for your own good. Sing and make music to the Lord with your hearts. Always thank God the Father for everything in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.” Many feel and even boast, they are 'spirit-filled'! Their lives show that they are not! Being continuously filled with the Holy Spirit is not automatic to any Christian! It is a divine process! It takes time and serious effort. But it is God’s promise to you.

Then and only then can you say with Paul in every situation in life, “Christ gives me the strength to face anything” and experience it!

Pray and practise with me: Dear Lord, help me to claim Your promise to fill me continuously with Your Spirit. Help me to do my part. May He strengthen me to face my everyday challenges, however tough. Amen.

No comments: