Thursday, August 9, 2007

Wounds of A Friend

FAITHFUL ARE THE WOUNDS OF A FRIEND, BUT THE KISSES OF AN ENEMY ARE DECEITFUL. PROVERBS 27:6

Nobody ever likes counsel that goes against their own plans! In the olden days, one had very little choice but to accept the counsel of those 'above' him. But today, we have freedom of the individual, even little children! Kids call 911 if the parents rebuke! Everyone is free to think and do what they like! Seldom do people seek counsel or heed it! However there has been no other time like ours when counsellors and counselling courses abound! Why? Ask yourself!

I am a 'great reader' of the "Daily Bible Notes' since my youth. I used different ones at various stages in my life. I have learned much and am now able to teach and preach from the Word. But basically, it taught me the habit of having my devotional time daily! I still do it! Some years ago, I read the following from 'Our Daily Bread' about criticism, not so much counselling, and it is worth passing on to you. Read and be blessed and bless others.

After a church service in which the minister had preached about spiritual gifts, he was greeted at the door by a woman who said, "Pastor, I believe I have the gift of criticism." He responded, "Do you remember the person in Jesus' parable who had the one talent? Do you recall what he did with it?" "Yes," replied the woman, "he went out and buried it" (see Mt 25:18). With a smile, the pastor suggested, "Go, and do likewise!"

If criticism is not given lovingly and with an honest desire to help, it can be cruel and destructive. The words of Lev 19:17, "You shall surely rebuke your neighbor, and not bear sin because of him," are preceded by warnings against spreading slander and nursing hatred.

You can determine when you should criticize and when you shouldn't by asking yourself three questions:

1. Am I motivated by a desire to help the other person?

2. Am I planning to face him honestly, but gently?

3. Am I doing this for the Lord, or because I enjoy being critical?

If your goal is to help, if your motives are loving, and if your desire is to please God, then go ahead and criticize. If you can't pass these tests, keep quiet.

We're building up or tearing down in everything we do;
Are we in the construction gang or on the wrecking crew?
He has the right to criticize who has the heart!

Pray and practise with me: Dear Lord, give me a heart of love and concern for people when I open my mouth to criticise or counsel. Amen.

No comments: