Friday, August 3, 2007

Creator of All Things

WHAT A LARGE NUMBER OF THINGS YOU HAVE MADE, O LORD! YOU MADE THEM ALL BY WISDOM. THE EARTH IS FILLED WITH YOUR CREATURES. Psalm 104.24.

Our grandchildren once spent a night with us in our family home. None wanted to sleep early. They all came to our bed and wanted to hear old tales about us and our family. They didn’t want the bright lights and so they switched them off. All of them shouted with one voice, “Look at Grandpa’s ceiling!” We had decorated it to look like 'the bright night sky with luminous stars and planets and even flying comets spread all over!'

The strange thing is that no one had noticed our artificially created ‘amazing sky with all the heavenly bodies’ until the lights went out and all silently gazed at the ceiling! It forcefully reminded me that unless you and I deliberately pause in the midst of our hectic days and nights and search for the glory of our God and the greatness of His creation, we shall never find them! What a loss it would be! You will miss the wonderful opportunity to witness God’s wonderful creation and worship Him for the greatness of His wisdom and works! You will never get an occasion to witness what King David saw that day and be reminded of all the many and diverse things, great and small, our wonderful Creator has made for us to take delight in!

I complain to my wife that there is one thing that I miss in our present beautiful home God has graciously provided. As before, I cannot get a full view of the beauty of the evening sunset (unless I spend my evening in our bathroom, which I often do!) or see the glory of the moonlit and star-spangled night sky! I miss all that David has described in this beautiful psalm about God’s wondrous creation and the opportunity to be filled with awe and praise to God our maker.

I used to take our family on holidays to scenic countrysides and often deliberately chose the most winding roads that scared my wife. Its picturesque beauty bewitches me! Though I love to drive but because it is not safe to watch the scenic beauty and not concentrate on the roads, others take the wheel from me! It is not unusual that I burst out singing, "Then sings my soul my Saviour God to thee, how great thou art!" and others join in.

Dear child of God, unless you ‘redeem the time’ from all the other important things that need your immediate attention, you will never see God or witness the beauty of His creation. Your worship of God, if at all you find time for it, will be bare and bland singing of the usual stereotyped songs and choruses and nothing more! Take time to 'see God' and make time to 'worship Him!'

Pray and practise with me: Dear Lord, my Maker and Creator of all things, help me to make time to worship You and rejoice in everything You have created for me to enjoy! Amen.

No comments: