Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Keep Myself In God's Love

KEEP YOURSELVES IN GOD'S LOVE. Jude 21.

God loved all the people of the world and sent His only Son into the world. He came and lived with them and told them about the Father's love. He loved us while we were yet sinners. Christ loved us and died for our sins while we were all enemies to God through disobedience. God still loves us even though we continue to disobey Him and go against His commandments.

You and I take the love of God for granted! Though God’s love is unconditional, He pleads with us by His mercy that we return His love. In today’s Bible text, we have this command and caution, “Keep yourselves in God’s love”.

How do you keep yourself in God’s love? How do you keep loving God and show your love to Him. The Bible tells us the secret. ‘This is love for God: to obey his commands’ (1 Jn 5.3). Jesus told His disciples, “If you love me, you will obey what I command” (Jn 14.15).

Long ago, the fierce Amalakites went to fight against Israel. God sent King Saul to war against them. He fought valiantly and defeated them. But he took the spoils which God commanded him not to do. God sent prophet Samuel to him and asked, “Does the LORD delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much as in obeying the voice of the LORD?” Samuel told Saul, “To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams” (1 Sam 15.15).

Today, we give the least premium for obedience to God. We would rather tell God all the nice things about Him; sing wonderful choruses to praise Him; do work in His name and for His church and people. But you forget that God asks and even commands you only one thing: Obedience. If you want to keep yourself in God’s love, if you want to show your love to Him, then you must obey His commandments.

Dear believer, learn from the life and fall of King Saul. Samuel said to him, “Because you have rejected the word of the LORD, the LORD has rejected you as king over Israel!” Then Saul said to Samuel, “I have sinned. I violated the Lord's command and your instructions. I was afraid of the people and so I gave in to them. Now I beg you, forgive my sin and come back with me, so that I may worship the LORD” (v.23, 26).

Much like us, Saul disobeyed the Lord, but he still wanted to carry on the worship as usual. But the Lord rejected him as king. The Spirit of the Lord withdrew from him. Saul lost God’s love and fellowship – because he disobeyed. Let it not happen to you!

Pray and practise with me: Dear Lord, teach me that obedience is better than worship. You even reject worship without obedience! Help me to obey You and keep myself in Your love. Amen.

No comments: