Friday, October 12, 2007

Facing Death

WHILE JESUS WAS STILL SPEAKING TO JAIRUS SOMEONE CAME.. AND SAID, "YOUR DAUGHTER IS DEAD". Luke 8.49.

When I was a final year medical student preparing for my exams, I received a telegram from home to say that my dear ‘father had suddenly died!’ I was 5,000 miles away from home and I couldn’t possibly go and be with my beloved mother and 5 younger siblings out of 10. I was the eldest son. My father was a preacher and pastor. He had a sudden heart attack and died while he was praying at a large gathering!

Even though I suddenly lost my beloved father, there was one consolation for me. Whereas my family members were there to witness his death and feel the pangs of this sudden loss, it was quite different for me. I wasn’t there to see him go! I was absent from home and hadn't seen my father for more than 2 years. For me, it was more like ‘before he was at home far away, but now he is in heaven farther away!’ Death and separation really didn’t make much difference in that situation.

This is basically what the apostle Paul told us, “to be away from the body and at home with the Lord” (2 Cor 2.5). We all should know what ‘death’ is in reality - a transition from our mortal life on earth to life immortal in heaven. This should take away our fear of death. Even though you do not wish to die, you must be prepared when death beckons! As for our dear ones who die, the truth about death and resurrection should take away our hopelessness though we despair!

Paul taught the Thessalonians about the resurrection of the dead in Christ and the transformation of the living saints at Christ’s Second Coming. Then he said, “With these words, comfort and encourage one another” those who are bereaved and grieving (1 Thes 4.18).

Death comes, sometimes suddenly and at other times, in due course. All meet with death and encounter the death of others! Even, we Christians cannot escape death. The Bible tells us, “It is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment” (Heb 9.27). Even though the risen and living Christ is with us, still we die. It was while Jairus was with Jesus and He was on the way to heal his daughter that she died! Can you imagine that? But Jesus raised the lass! Dear believer, it tells you the truth that while God allows death, Christ guarantees resurrection! Therefore let us comfort one another.

Pray and practise with me: Dear Lord, help me face death, whether mine or that of dear ones, with courage, knowing the truth that ‘to die is to be with Christ, which is far better!’ Amen.

No comments: