Sunday, October 7, 2007

Why Christ Died?

CHRIST DIED TO TAKE AWAY OUR SINS AS THE SCRIPTURES PREDICTED. He was placed in a tomb. He was brought back to life on the third day as the Scriptures predicted. 1 Corinthians 15.3,4.

You and I are simple folk who do not know much theology! Thank God for what we know. But we should always strive to know more about our faith. Yet, be sure that you do not lose your simple faith in the graveyard of ‘controversial theology’ that is of no profit and even destroys faith!

The apostle Paul was one of the most prominent theologians. Apart from the things he learned from eminent scholars, his knowledge came by divine revelation! He is the one who wrote much of the theology and doctrines of Christian faith. They are contained in the epistles. Many of his discourses are complicated and beyond our simple understanding! But in today’s lesson, we have the apostle coming to the level of a simple believer and teaching him the basics of biblical truth!

In just 2 verses, he tells us the foundation for our faith. He says, “I passed on to you the most important points of doctrine that I had received: ‘Christ died to take away our sins as the Scriptures predicted. He was placed in a tomb. He was brought back to life on the third day as the Scriptures predicted’ ” (1 Cor 15.3,4).

All that you need to know for your salvation is that Christ died for your sins. He was raised to life by the power of the Holy Spirit on the third day, and gives you new life in that power! However, you should go on to learn all that is in the Word of God, Old and New Testaments. But be sure that you do not forget the fundamentals of your faith.

Sometimes believers get side-tracked by their Bible study. Seeking knowledge becomes the issue and living it out escapes their attention. You shouldn’t forget God’s purposes for you. Likewise, while chasing miracles and supernatural gifts we should not lose our focus on the Lord Jesus Christ. Miracles without Christ are worthless! Gifts without the Holy Spirit are useless. Though knowledge, gifts and miracles are essential to ministry, often we only get puffed up by these. We make use of them to bring fame and fortune to us and not to glorify Christ.

Dear believer, though the world doesn’t know it and only few believe it, our faith hangs on the simple yet profound truth, “Christ died for our sins and rose again for our justification!” My dear late father and a faithful servant of the Lord had only one desire, “God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world” (Gal 6.14).

The other day, I went out for lunch with one of my sons. While paying our bill we noticed the lady cashier wearing a cross on a chain! My son asked her, “Are you Christian?” She said, “Yes”. It turned out that she too attends our large church! I mused within myself, ‘Wouldn’t it be a good idea for all of us Christians to wear a cross for others to know that we belong to Christ?’ But then, it would be better for us and the world if you and I would ‘wear Christ’ in our everyday life!

This Lord's day, dear friend, you have the unique opportunity to celebrate the death and resurrection of your Saviour Jesus Christ. Make it a fresh occasion to get a touch from the risen Lord who will be present and walking in midst of the congregation!

Pray and practise with me: Dear Lord Jesus, I thank You from the depth of my heart for dying for my sins. Enable me to live in Your resurrection power each day and be Your witness. Amen.

No comments: