Friday, October 19, 2007

Who Are We In Christ?

FOR WE ARE GOD'S WORKMANSHIP, CREATED IN CHRIST JESUS TO DO GOOD WORKS, WHICH GOD PREPARED IN ADVANCE FOR US TO DO. Ephesians 2.10. (NIV)

The above statement by the apostle Paul about our lives is not so easily understood unless you read it in a modern English translation or better still in a good paraphrase, like the ‘Living Bible’. I have it here in the ‘New Revised Version’. ‘We are what God has made us. He has created us in Christ Jesus for good works. These, God prepared beforehand to be our way of life.’ I have taken the liberty to split the original long sentence into short sentences for easy understanding.

We are living in an age when many have ‘identity crises!’ They ask, “Who am I? Why am I here? What is the real purpose in life, if there is one?” Not only the youngsters but even older ones are often perplexed about these things. Presently, you may be going through tough times. You may not have found your ‘physical and more so spiritual niche’ in life!

You and I may have times of perplexity when we are not sure of what is happening to us! You may be all upset and despairing! It is not strange or wrong at all! Great prophets like Moses who divided the Red Sea and Elijah who brought fire from heaven on Mount Carmel and raised even the dead, had such crises. Once Elijah cried to God, "I have had enough, LORD," he said. "Take my life; I am no better than my ancestors" (1 Ki 19.4). God fed him once by the ravens and then by the angels. God revealed Himself to Elijah in a special manner. The Lord spoke to him to cheer him up and reveal His purpose for him.

Here in today’s verse, we have one of the surest Word of God for your life and mine! “We are what God has made us. He has created us in Christ Jesus for good works. These, God prepared beforehand to be our way of life”. If you have any perplexity or fear that you are not in the right place or find yourself in deep trouble, this is God speaking to you today!

Use the verse and keep asking god to fulfill in you all the good purposes for which He has created you! The Psalmist praised God saying, “The LORD will fulfill his purpose for me” (Psa 138.8). The Lord will do it if you will only surrender to Him and desire to do His will. He will touch your life and transform it. You will reach out and touch other lives by the power of His Spirit.

Pray with me: Dear Lord, there are times of anxiety and distress when I feel no purpose in life or doubt it! Help me to take hold of Your promises and claim then one by one and feel fulfilled when You answer me. Amen.

No comments: