Tuesday, November 27, 2007

God Will Forgive

I WILL FORGIVE THEIR SINS AND FORGET THE EVIL THINGS THEY HAVE DONE. Jeremiah 31.34.

I came to know the Lord as my Saviour as a small boy through my mother and grandmother who were godly, praying women. Naturally, there weren’t many 'so-called great sins' that I had committed before that! But there were enough bad things I had done! I was a child of God and I knew as a child of God, I shouldn’t sin. But I had just started my life as a boy and I knew that I was going to confront all kinds of temptations and sins one by one. So I always prayed to God to keep me from sin. When I did sin, I quickly asked for forgiveness. I know that God has forgiven all my sins, since my youth upwards!

I am particularly glad for God’s promise in today’s text: “I will forgive their sins and forget the evil things they have done”. Remember prophet Micah saying, “You will cast all our sins into the depths of the sea” (Mic 7.19). God Himself said “I, even I, am he who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and remembers your sins no more” (Isa 43.25).

That is what God in His grace, mercy and forgiveness has done with the sins we have confessed to Him. But, do you ever remember some of your worst sins against God? I do. It always makes me sorry. But never should I feel guilty because God has done away with them!

God’s Word says, “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness” (1 Jn 1.8). See, God not only forgives the sin that we confess but He goes ahead to purify us from everything that is not right in us! How good it is to confess whenever we sin! Unfortunately, seeking God’s forgiveness doesn't seem to be a priority with you and I. We assume that it is God’s duty to forgive when we sin. But only when you ask are you forgiven!

There are Christians who are in the habit of going back often and resurrecting their past sins which God has buried and doesn’t care to remember. If you are one of them, then you must stop doing it! It is an affront and insult to our God. The Scripture says, “Who is a God like you? You forgive sin and overlook the rebellion of your faithful people. You will not be angry forever, because you would rather show mercy” (Mic 7.18). However, if you happen to remember and feel sorry, it's alright. But you do not have to ask forgiveness for them nor keep remembering them anymore!

Pray and practise with me: Dear Lord, help me to keep rejoicing because You have forgiven and forgotten all my sins from my youth up! Help me to keep short accounts with You daily. Help me to forgive others as You have forgiven me. Amen.

No comments: