Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Walk With God Daily

EVEN THOUGH I WALK THROUGH THE DARK VALLEY OF DEATH, BECAUSE YOU ARE WITH ME, I FEAR NO HARM. Your rod and your staff give me courage. Psalm 23.4.

We have become a generation of 'X-TREMES' (even EXTREMISTS!) in everything and every way! During my recent trip to the UK, I happened to see a copy of an 'EXTREME YOUTH BIBLE' in a church I attended! Hollywood is inventing 'the extremes' but God is Lord over even the 'extremes!'

Notice the 'EXTREMES OF LIFE' that could confront God's people as described in today's well-loved and well-known Psalm! The Psalmist David says, "Even though I walk through the dark valley of death, because you are with me, I fear no harm. Your rod and your staff give me courage. Another translation has it: “Even if I go through the deepest darkness, I will not be afraid, LORD, for you are with me. Your shepherd's rod and staff protect me”.

Dear believer, it is good for you to be ‘PRE’-PARED for all 'extremes!' It will help you through if you ‘PRE’-LEARN how to overcome and outlive the most difficult situations when they come! But you need to know the Good Shepherd, Jesus Christ, the Son of God. You need to make him YOUR Good shepherd. You need to let him lead and guide you day-by-day. You need to walk with Him through the green pastures. Have you ever walked through a beautiful park with lush green grass and tall verdant (luxurious leafy green) trees and ponds with lilies, golden carps and cascading fountains? Have you strolled along with your Guide and Companion sharing your exquisite delight? Your soul is refreshed. Your mind is renewed. You feel like a new person. That is what the Good Shepherd will do for you, if you will let Him!

You need to learn to 'daily walk' with your Lord. You can do so in a park or garden, however small, or on the balcony of your apartment! Perhaps, you could take ‘a ride with Him’ in your car on the way to work or taking the children to school or going to the market. If nothing works, try ‘walking with Him through the Scriptures’ as you read your daily devotions! You have to make a start and learn to spend some quiet time with Him. You need to do it deliberately. Our days are getting busier and we are always surrounded by people, work or noises from the radio and TV, with no rest or quietness for our souls and spirit!

Dear believer, you need to experience walking with the Lord all the more because your good days will most certainly be overtaken by bad ones. None will escape them. They could be as bad as the psalmist says, “the valley of the shadow of death”. Some are still in that valley and smarting! The fire is on, the flames are rising, the furnace is hot. It is beyond your ability to handle. There is none to help or able to deliver except the Shepherd. The first SMS I received as I landed at the KLIA airport was from a desperate brother whose father is in his terminal state of cancer!

But if you have learned to walk side by side with the Good Shepherd all the way and have known His constant presence, then you will be sure that He is with you even when you walk through the darkest valley. You may fear the evil that has overtaken you. But imagine the Good Shepherd with His rod and staff in His hand walking beside you. Imagine Him using His rod to ward off the evil that surrounds you. Picture Him putting out His long curved shepherd’s staff to protect you from all evil. It may be a valley of shadows that will last for a time. He will comfort you. He will protect you. He will take you through. Or, it may truly be ‘the valley of death’ for you or for a dear one. Still the Good Shepherd will not leave you. He will comfort you with His presence and staff, in your agony and pain and carry you to ‘the other side’ safely! Make the LORD YOUR GOOD SHEPHERD today, and everyday!

Pray and practise with me: Dear Lord, be my Good Shepherd. Let me walk with You daily in green pastures and the darkest valleys, knowing that You are with me to comfort and carry me through. Amen.

No comments: