Friday, November 2, 2007

Logs In My Eye

First take the plank out of your eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye. Luke 6.42.

This is part of the Sermon on the Mount Jesus preached from the shores of the sea of Galilee at the onset of His ministry. Through the beatitudes and the teachings on various practical issues of life, Jesus laid out the Kingdom Principles. They were not only very different from that of the world but they were in direct opposition with the world.

Just as in Jesus’ days, many people today are quick to criticise and slow to commend! By a simple yet vivid analogy, the Lord illustrated to us this truth. Doesn’t it stand to reason that you cannot see clearly the speck in your brother’s eye, when you have a plank or beam in your eye? Yet, how often and how easily we do this which even the Lord condemns!

It is time that you and I take seriously these basic teachings of the Lord about our daily life and begin to practice it. When you get into the habit of criticising everyone for everything, you must take it as a warning sign! It is time for a real eye-check. The beam in your eye has blinded you! You cannot see your fault anymore! Like King David, the man after God’s own heart, ask the Holy Spirit, “Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my thoughts. See if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting” (Psa 139.23,24).

We often criticise people and even our leaders before everyone except them! IT DOESN’T DO ANY GOOD TO ANYONE. WE JUST HURT THAT PERSON AND OURSELVES! We do it because we are cowards and are neither concerned about the issue nor care for that person! If we did, then how good and beneficial it would have been if, even before we told anyone, we had taken it to the LORD in prayer to set things right.

If the matter needs to be pursued then take it to the person with love and humility. Or atleast, you should speak to someone who could approach the person about the matter. By doing so you would have spared the person from folly, exonerated him, and even saved the situation!

Pray and practise with me: Dear Lord, there are ‘logs in my eye’ and they have blinded me from seeing my faults. Please help me to keep removing them. Let me not be quick to seek the specks in everyone’s eye and try to remove them but pray that You will do it for them too! Amen.

No comments: