Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Two Criminals Beside Jesus

THEY CRUCIFIED CHRIST, THE CRIMINALS ALSO, ONE ON HIS RIGHT AND THE OTHER ON HIS LEFT. Luke 23.33.

Have you tried to picture the scenes in your mind when you read the Scriptures? It is a good thing to do. The people and places and events will become vivid and focused. Everything sticks in your mind and you do not easily forget.

I can easily visualise the crucifixion scene as I read the Bible because in 1972 we had the rare privilege of standing on Mount Calvary. The locals called it ‘the place of the skull’ for, from a distance, the hillside has the semblance of a skull. Try imagining the scene in your mind. It will do you good to picture in your mind what you are reading. It is interesting as well as helpful for understanding and remembering! See the huge wooden cross at the centre. The Lord Jesus Christ was nailed to that tree. See His mangled body, blood-stained all over by the scourging and the piercing of the nails on his hands and feet. Water and blood gushing forth from His side when the soldier thrust his cruel spear! His thorn-crowned head hung over his bruised shoulders that carried the cross!

Suddenly you hear these words from a criminal hanging on the cross on his (right) side, “Don't you fear God at all? Can't you see that you're condemned in the same way that he is? Our punishment is fair. We're getting what we deserve. But this man hasn't done anything wrong”. Turn around and you see that he was speaking to another criminal who also was crucified on the other side of Jesus. This man speaks up again, this time to Jesus, “Jesus, remember me when you enter your kingdom.”

We can never forget the scene. Three crosses on Calvary. Jesus hung between the two criminals. But the truth is that one died still a criminal for he never repented but only reviled the Saviour. The other admitted his fault and sought forgiveness from Jesus. The response from Jesus was immediate, “I can guarantee this truth: Today you will be with me in paradise.”

Dear friend, the Bible says, 'we are all like the two criminals' beside the cross of Jesus. But 'It is up to you to be like the one you choose to be!’ You can acknowledge Christ who was crucified for you as your Saviour. You can let yourself be with Him 'now and day by day'. You can let Him live in and through you moment by moment. It will be like paradise on earth now, and in the hereafter!

Once the apostle Paul pictured himself beside the crucified Lord and said, “I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but it is Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” (Gal 2.19,20). The choice is yours – reckon yourself to be crucified with Christ and be with Him here on earth and after life in paradise. Don’t forget the other thief. He never repented of his sin; never called on Christ. Though he too was by the side of Christ, yet he died and went to hell!

Pray and practise with me: Dear Lord, I too have to take sides like the two criminals crucified beside You. Let me repent and die with You to my wicked ways of the world. Let me live in the power of Your resurrection. Amen.

No comments: