Monday, November 26, 2007

Resist The Evil

PLACE YOURSELVES UNDER GOD’S AUTHORITY. RESIST THE DEVIL, AND HE WILL RUN AWAY FROM YOU. James 4.7.

There are many ‘good Christians’, and even mature ones, who struggle with sin! They cannot get rid of it. The writer of the Hebrews calls it, “sins” that easily “beset us”, “clings to us so closely”, “easily ensnares us”; “easily entangles us” (Heb 12.1 various versions). Sounds familiar? There are many new Christians also who cannot overcome their sinful habits. Why can’t we get rid of our sins?

At the same time, we hear astounding testimonies of criminals and crooks, the immoral and the perverts. They tell of their wonderful stories of “instant salvation of their souls and also from the sins that kept them captives!” The drunkard vomits at the smell of liquor as he passes by a pub! The chain-smoker wretches at the puff of cigarettes! The sex maniac hates the sight of the brothels he frequented! Everything happened all at once when they accepted Jesus Christ as their Saviour.

What then is our problem? The problem is “US”. You love your sins and hold on to your bad habits and wrong desires. You don’t want to give them up! It is said of the Lord Jesus Christ, “You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness; therefore God, your God, has anointed you with the oil of gladness beyond your companions” (Heb 1.9). The crooks and sinners who get miraculously converted experience salvation from sin and from their love for sin. This is because God anoints them with His Spirit and the bondage and slavery to sin is instantly broken!

I remember counselling a young drug addict brought up in a Christian family. He had tried many times to stop his habit but failed. Rehabilitation centres couldn’t do him any good. Then, I found out his problem. He wanted to run his own life! He didn’t want to submit to God’s authority. Dear believer, you cannot win alone. You need God. You need the help of the Spirit of God, which is freely available.

The Word of God says, “Resist the Devil and he will run away from you”. I get ‘unwanted visitors’ at our clinic sometimes. I have told my nurses to drive them away. They manage to do that fairly well. But there is a tough ‘drug addict’ who never leaves. Every time they have to call me to drive him away! He taught me a wonderful lesson. Now I know why the devil doesn’t run when I try to drive him out by myself! He is not afraid of me. So I do what my nurses do, “I Call the Boss!” I am like that small boy who said, “When the devil comes knocking at my door to tempt me to steal the jam, I ask Jesus to open the door! Immediately, he scoots off!”

While you must 'resist the devil', there are times when you must flee from him and his temptations and escape! "Flee also youthful lusts; but pursue righteousness, faith, love, peace with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart" (2 Tim 2.22). Remember, that is what the brave young man Joseph did when sorely tempted to commit adultery with Potiphar's bewitching wife! That cigarette, that alcohol, drink, that drug, that bad habit, whatever it may be - they are temptations from which you better 'run once and for all'. You cannot get rid of them little by little.

Pray and practise with me: Dear Lord, help me to hate sin and love righteousness. Deliver me from evil and the evil one! Set me free from the sin that clings to me. Amen.

No comments: