Monday, November 26, 2007

Just Be Faithful

THE ONE THING REQUIRED OF CHRIST’S SERVANTS IS THAT THEY BE FAITHFUL TO THEIR MASTER. 1 Corinthians 4.2

It seems very funny to me now that when my grandfather encouraged me to become first in my Standard One class, I retorted, “Grandpa, but isn’t that being selfish?’ I have ‘become a man’ and having imbibed the values of the world, there is no end to my dreams and greed too! Whereas, when young I didn’t ‘aspire to be anything’, today when I see a champion, - we see plenty of them on TV - I want to be him! I haven’t been to a Formula One race – I hate the heat, the traffic jam and the crowd. But I wouldn't mind replacing Michael Schumacher on the podium! And of course, if I had just listened to the greatest preacher, evangelist or even singer (I can't sing for nuts, as they say!), I still cherish a secret desire ‘to be them!’ I have a feeling you too have such secrets! We are human! We should have some dreams anyway!

Friend, God has raised simple saints and made them great. He still can and will do it, if He wants to and if you will give yourself unselfishly to Him. The Word of God reveals that ‘we could and we should aspire to be ‘bishops’ (overseers, elders, leaders and deacons) in God’s Church. Do you know that you are encouraged to do so? “The saying is true: whoever aspires to the office of bishop desires a noble task” (1 Tim 3.1). I trust you will. But note that 'the office and the designation' call for the work and the responsibility and not just the seat and cassock (attire)!

Dear believer, for a moment forget about your dreams and aspirations, good or bad or extreme. Think about the talents that God has already given you, according to your ability! Listen, “We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully” (Rom 12.6-8). There is a vast variety of gifts. Do you have any of these? You MUST have at least ONE!

The other day, I heard a thrilling story of a disappointed and disillusioned ‘gospel tract writer’ escaping suicide. It put sense into me. May it do the same to you. This poor servant of the Lord envied the glare and glamour of platform preachers! He pitied himself and stopped writing tracts for 15 years because ‘no one knew’ him, a simple tract writer. One day, a man stopped him from jumping off a ferry boat on a raging river. It so happened that this man was a famous evangelist who had been ‘saved’ by a tract! It was this disappointed man who had written the tract but had thrown the stack away into the river in disgust and disappointment 15 years ago! The evangelist had kept the tract in his pocket and was looking for the writer!

“The one thing required of the servant is that he be faithful to his master with his talent”. Are you? It is your faithfulness that counts and not greatness! Commendation from God is greater than the recommendation of men!

Pray and pratcise with me: Dear Lord, the Bible tells me that You have given me a talent to use for You and others. Help me to recognise it and use it faithfully. Amen.

No comments: